Oyu Tolgoi in Mongolia is a copper-gold mine consisting of an open pit mine and underground development, processing plant and supporting infrastructure to produce high grade copper and gold concentrates. Oyu Tolgoi will utilise a Mongolian workforce that will be trained to effectively operate and maintain the processing plant. Oyu Tolgoi's workforce is more than 94 per cent Mongolian.
We are looking for one (1) Specialist, Safety in our Central Services - Safety department based at Oyu Tolgoi mine with roster of 14 days on and 7 days off.
Reporting to the Principal Advisor Security, the Safety Specialist provides advice, oversight and direction, leadership and support towards developing and embedding of Rio Tinto and Oyu Tolgoi safety management systems.
The incumbent will be responsible for coordinating the implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the safety programs for the Central Services department on OT site. Due to the nature of the work required, this role will be required to interface with all spheres of the business, in particular Mining operations, HSE, Community, HR, Logistics, External Affairs, and Contractor Engagement in order to adequate service delivery.
We continue to focus on completing our transition to a safe, sustainable, profitable and internationally competitive business.
What the role entails
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the Safety team relating to their activities at OT site. This will include the provision of safety support to OT site, remote camps, external infrastructure, logistics infrastructure and satellite offices.
- Ensure that all safety risk mitigation strategies identified for OT's operations at OT site, including remote sites and activities, are effectively implemented.
- Provide safety support to the Central Services team.
- Provide professional leadership, guidance and mentorship to the site safety professionals.
- Evaluate safety performance, monitor results, communicate and distribute information, provide advice to site leaders and senior staff.
- Assist management in to conduct investigations of incidents.
- Facilitate inspections of the mine by the governing regulatory bodies.
- Work with regulators and supervisory personnel to help limit the company's exposure to non-conformances.
- Influence behaviours and actions to create a zero harm culture that enhances contractor safety performance.
- Lead and participate in audits of the HSE management system.
- Monitor audit compliance action items.
- Develop and deliver safety systems, training and programs.
- Provide guidance on safety policies and procedures, and recommend systems and programs that maintain regulatory compliance.
- Lead and manage the OT Central Services Safety team consisting of a number of Supervisors and officers.
What you will need for this role
- A degree in an engineering, or safety related field is desirable
- At least 3-5 years' experience in safety and security at industrial or mining sites is essential
- Experience in a supervisory role in mining, manufacturing or construction sector
- Experience in safety investigations, incident management and risk management
- Basic knowledge of principles of risk management.
- Very strong communication skills with the aptitude to provide awareness training and induction briefing to employees.
- Ability to effectively communicate in Mongolian and English is essential
- Strong working knowledge of pertinent law in Mongolia
- Competency in MS Office suite is essential
- Knowledge of Safety and Quality Management systems is recommended
If you have any enquiries, please contact the following addresses:
Monnis Tower, 1st Floor
Tel: + (976) - 7010-3604
All potential candidates must be medically cleared.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and asked to submit additional documents
For successful candidates, please be advised that information submitted and collected during the recruitment process may be used or required by other HR functions such as Training and HR Services.
Employees of the Oyu Tolgoi LLC and subcontract companies currently working at Oyu Tolgoi mine must notify their employer of their application prior to progressing to the interview stage.
Oyu Tolgoi LLC ensures fair and transparent recruitment practices where all applicants are provided with equal opportunities and the decision on recruitment is made by committee members without any involvement of mediating individuals.