Oyu Tolgoi in Mongolia is a copper-gold mine consisting of an open pit mine and underground development, processing plant and supporting infrastructure to produce high grade copper and gold concentrates. Oyu Tolgoi will utilise a Mongolian workforce that will be trained to effectively operate and maintain the processing plant. Oyu Tolgoi’s workforce is more than 95 per cent Mongolian.
We are looking for one (1) Contract Lawyer in our Legal department based in Ulaanbaatar.
Oyu Tolgoi Legal team’s vision is to maintain and improve our standards as the best in-house legal function in Mongolia and to strive to become the best in-house legal function for any resources project in the world.
Contract Lawyer is responsible for providing contract and legal services to the highest standard to Oyu Tolgoi LLC with the main focus on Oyu Tolgoi procurement contracts. Contract Lawyer provides advices and guidance in the area of legal and contract matters which are within its core competencies. Oyu Tolgoi Legal seeks to operate in a collaborative manner globally and locally in order to share knowledge and best practice and achieve a consistent approach amongst the lawyers.
This role will support the Chief Counsel in achieving collaboration throughout Oyu Tolgoi Legal and Procurement locally but also globally in the sharing of knowledge, good practice and consistent approach. It has a strategic role in approaching and guiding on the legal aspects and legal risks of major procurement contracts and transactions.
We continue to focus on completing our transition to a safe, sustainable, profitable and internationally competitive business.
What the role entails
- Managing contract risk, including providing the legal parameters for strategic solution and mitigation of contract risks in view of company’s best interests and business objectives;
- Review and develop draft contracts and general terms and conditions for contracts and purchase orders;
- Assessment of most appropriate means of providing legal advice for particular matters, some of which may have a long term impact;
- Provision of timely, accurate, independent and commercially focused legal advice, with a view to avoiding potential problem areas and resolving issues as advantageously as possible;
- Maintaining awareness of material internal and external business/legal developments which are likely to affect effective contract and contract templates;
- Developing relationships in procurement and legal teams
- Negotiation and management of litigation and disputes arising from contracts as assigned;
- Liaising, developing and maintaining close working relationships with members of Oyu Tolgoi LLC, as assigned by the Chief Counsel, to meet their contractual, statutory and corporate requirements by:
- Assisting the capture of statutory and corporate compliance requirements;
- Advising on legality, integrity and uniformity of contracts.
- Provide law reform information and updates as required and as assigned;
- Managing other projects as designated.
What you will need for this role
- Law degree – strong academic legal credentials and solid practical experience
- Strong verbal and writing skills in English
- Previous experience with procurement/service/supply transactions and commercial awareness/acumen
- Strong presentation skill
- Strong analytical skill
- Entitlement to undertake such legal practice in Mongolia
If you have any enquiries, please contact the following addresses:
Monnis Tower, 1st Floor
Tel: + (976) - 7010-3604
All potential candidates must be medically cleared.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and asked to submit additional documents
For successful candidates, please be advised that information submitted and collected during the recruitment process may be used or required by other HR functions such as Training and HR Services.
Employees of the Oyu Tolgoi LLC and subcontract companies currently working at Oyu Tolgoi mine must notify their employer of their application prior to progressing to the interview stage.
Oyu Tolgoi LLC ensures fair and transparent recruitment practices where all applicants are provided with equal opportunities and the decision on recruitment is made by committee members without any involvement of mediating individuals.